Tips and tools for sustainable living at Kellogg
Every Saturday from 10am-1pm at East Oxford Primary School.
Every Sunday from 10am-2pm on Banbury Rd., Summertown.
Every Saturday from 10am-2pm at London Road and New High Street.
2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 10am-2pm on North Parade, Summertown.
Every Wednesday and Thursday from 9am-4pm, and Saturday from 10am-5pm in Gloucester Green.
Every Sunday from 9.30am-12noon in the South Oxford Community Centre.
Every Monday-Saturday from 8am-5.15pm in the Covered Market, Market St.
organic fruit and vegetable boxes
Deliver organic, seasonal, and mostly local fruits and veggies straight to your door.
Place an order by midnight on Sunday and bring a bag to pick up your order at the Turl Street Kitchen on the following Thursday.
- SESI Pop–Up Shop: https://www.sesi.org.uk/community/pop–up–shop
- Every Saturday from 10am-1pm at East Oxford Farmers’ and Community Market (see above). – Refill a wide range of organic, fair-trade, and local food, and supply detergent refills.
- Flo’s Refill Shop: https://www.flosoxford.org.uk/flos–refill–shop
- Every Saturday and Wednesday from 12.30pm-5pm at Flo’s – The Place in the Park, Rymers Lane. – Refill staple food items, detergents, and environmentally sound baby products.
- Waitrose & Partners Unpacked: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/featured/groceries/unpacked – Every Monday-Saturday from 8am-9pm and Sunday from 10am-4pm on 110-120 Botley Rd. – Refill staple food items, detergents, coffee, wine and beer, or borrow a box from them.
- OxUnboxed: https://www.facebook.com/oxunboxed and Scoop Zero–Waste: http://www.scoopzerowaste.co.uk – Various places and times.
Connects neighbors with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared, not thrown away.
Connects businesses who have surplus food with members of the public who want to rescue this food at a discount or retail price and collect it from the stores.
Transforms surplus food into delicious healthy meals accessible to all, where customers are able to contribute either what they can afford or what they think the food, space, and idea is worth.
Enables people to borrow items that are only occasionally needed, such as DIY tools, outdoors and sports equipment, domestic and cooking equipment, etc.
Got an item that needs fixing? SHARE Oxford organizes free Repair Cafés on every first Sunday of every other month between 2pm-5pm at Makespace Oxford, 1 Aristotle Ln.
Ethical and sustainable produce shops
- 2 North Parade Produce Store: http://www.2northparade.com
- Every Tuesday-Saturday from 8.30am-5pm and Sunday from 10am-1pm on 2 North Parade Avenue.
- Wild Honey – Oxford’s Organic Health Store: https://www.wildhoneylove.com
- 111 Magdalen Rd. Store: Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 9am-6pm, Sunday: 10am-5pm.
- 12 South Parade Store: Monday-Friday: 9am-6.30pm, Saturday: 9am-6pm, Sunday: 10am-5pm.
Recommendations for places with good vegan options
- Happy Friday Kitchen (all vegan, 282 Cowley Rd.)
- Red Star Noodle Bar (vegetarian/vegan noodle soup options, 187A Cowley Rd.)
- The Coconut Tree (vegan options, 76 St. Clement’s St.)
- Rick’s Vegetarian Cafe (all vegetarian/vegan, 71 St. Clement’s St.)
- Alpha Bar (vegan takeaway options in the Covered Market, 89 Market St.)
- The Gardener’s Arms (all vegetarian/vegan, 39 Plantation Rd.)
- Banana Tree (vegan menu, 63 George St.)
- The Handle Bar (vegan options, 28-32 St. Michael’s St.)
- Buongiorno e Buonasera (vegan pizzas, 102 Gloucester Green)
- Franco Manca (vegan pizzas, 12 George St.)
- Pizza Express (vegan menu, 8 Golden Cross, Cornmarket St.)
Apps related to a plant-based lifestyle
Assists you in finding restaurants with plant-based/vegan options that are close to you.
Free meal-planning app from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (meal plans, recipes, grocery lists, daily videos, nutrition tips, cooking demonstrations, and more).
Recipes from the makers of the critically-acclaimed film Forks Over Knives, where you can discover over 400 hearty and decadent meals from over 50 leading chefs, with new recipes added weekly.
Pages to keep up with
Organize regular vegan markets at the Oxford Town Hall, where you can find mouth-watering food stalls, eyeopening lifestyle brands, luxury cosmetics, ethical clothing, interesting charities, and much more.
Take the Veggie Pledge by posting your name, college, and tailor-made pledge to include more veggie or vegan meals in your diet, or to live more sustainably during November.
- Oxford University Veggie Exchange Dinners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ouved Vegetarian/vegan dinner swaps between students of the various University of Oxford colleges.
- The Vegetarian Norrington Table: http://www.veggienorringtontable.com
Vote for the best and worst vegetarian/vegan food in University of Oxford colleges and halls.
A University of Oxford student initiative that aims to inspire interest and action towards tackling the physical waste our global population produces.
Information, opportunities, and news from the Environmental Sustainability team at the University of Oxford.